Photo courtesy of the San Diego History Center
Over 100 years ago New San Diego, which is now known as Downtown San Diego, was established four miles from Old Town. New San Diego as envisioned by Alonzo Eratus Horton and William Heath Davis was to become a thriving city center. In 1870, Horton cleared land on Broadway to build the Horton House. The Horton House was located where the U.S. Grant Hotel stands today.
The Horton House and the plaza quickly became a center for meetings and festivities. The plaza became a reception area for the Centennial Fourth of July celebration and President Benjamin Harrison’s visit in 1891. The fountain, which still stands today, was erected in 1910.
The Horton House was torn down in 1905, and the magnificent festivities that once graced the plaza have now come to an end. However, the plaza continues to be the heart of San Diego.
Take a BITE out of San Diego!